Monday, December 3, 2007

Angels Workin' It


Well my boys' new GM has been busy. This is so odd. In all his years Stoneman made I think one trade of any significance, and that was a deal he really had to do (Jose Guillen for Juan Rivera & Macier Izturis). I don't think he was a bad GM, just a little...dull. This new guy Tony Reagins seems eager to put his stamp on things. He's made a couple big splashed already. Here's how I grade them.


Orlando Cabrera for John Garland - B


I was disappointed at first, but this is really a pretty good move. Cabrera had a pretty good year last year at the plate for him, won the Gold Glove at short, and was a team leader in the clubhouse, but he probably hit his peak. His glove will be good for a few more years, but I doubt he'll hit that well again. Garlands no ace, but he's not supposed to be. He'll make a very good back-end of the rotation guy, his numbers have been a little better than league average, and he gives the Halos a plethora of solid starters. They can use that in a trade or go into the season with a contingency in case of injury. Not a bad position to be in, especially considering what kind of money even mediocre pitchers are getting. I'll miss OC, but like a great man once said, its business, not personal.


Signed Torii Hunter for 5 years, $90M - C+


This definitely makes the Angles better this year and probably the next. I think they overpaid some and I'm a little concerned that in years four and five of this deal we'll have an average centerfielder who bats .265, 16 HR, 84 RBI and makes about $18M a year. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong. But, if the Angels win the World Series somewhere in there I won't mind it so much.


The next item on the shopping list is Miguel Cabrera. Now that would be a nice Christmas present. The price is steep, reportedly up-and-coming hit machine Howie Kendrick, catcher Jeff Mathis, either Joe Saunders or Ervin Santana, and top pitching prospect Nick Adenhart. A tall order, yes, but probably worth it given Carbrera is only 24 and supposedly just entering his prime! It was said the teams had reached a deal on two occasions only to have the Marlins up the ante at the last minute. Most of the ESPN analysts I've heard today expect some deal to be worked out. Which would make the '08 Angels lineup look something like this:


1 - Chone Figgins - 2B

2 - Gary Matthews - DH/LF/RF

3 - Vladdy - RF/DH

4 - Miguel Cabrera - 3B

5 - Torii Hunter - CF

6 - Garret Anderson -LF/DH

7 - Casey Kotchman - 1B

8 - Mike Napoli - C

9 -Macier Izturis/Eric Aybar - SS


John Lackey

Kelvim Escobar

Jered Weaver

John Garland

Joe Saunders or Ervin Santana (whichever one isn't traded for Cabrera)


K-Rod

Scot Shields

Justin Speier


Not too shabby. Oh, and apparently they're eyeing Johan Santana also. I have no idea what they would have to part with for him, especially if they get Cabrera. Should be interesting.

2 comments:

Ando said...

Well I guess the Cabrera deal won't be happening. He was just traded to the Tigers along with Dontrelle Willis.

Maybe the Angels will go a little harder at Santana now. Or they may persue Miguel Tejada.

J Crew said...

You must know that I hate the Angels now more than ever! I loved them until..... oh...................2002. NO, I AM NOT BITTER AT ALL