Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Cold of Winter

And so its done. Another baseball season in the books, and the chill of winter begins to set in. Some random thoughts on the 2007 season....

Its disappointing that the Rockies didn't fare better in the Series. The Red Sox were just too hot.

Speaking of the Sox, I pulled for them in 2004 and even this season I hoped they would hold off the Yankees and win the division. But now I'm done. The Red Sox are moving into Yankee territory as far as Evil Empires go. They've had their fun, now I'm sick of them. Unfortunately, this is not an aging team's last hurrah. It could be the start of a mini-dynasty or worse. And if there's one thing no one outside New England wants, its another Massachusettes based sports dynasty.

A-rod has removed all doubt that he is a tremendous egotist. He's got the "Look-at-me" attitude of a spoiled nine-year old. He wants to be bigger than the game, he thinks he is bigger than the game. Announcing the opt-out halfway through a deciding World Series game? ESPN's Buster Olney is right. Whoever signs this guy better be prepared to have everything else, including winning, be placed on the back burner behind the Alex Rodriguez Show. Though those 50 home runs look pretty good behind Vladdy...hmmmmmm.

3 comments:

Baseball_N_Beer said...

2 World Series titles in the past 89 years qualifies you to be considered the same as the Evil Empire? I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. That's only one more title than the Angels have in the past 6 years....so what you're saying is, if the Angels win another title next year, they'll also be mentioned in the same breathe as the Yankees? Come on Andy, you're just bitter that your team made another early exit in the playoffs :)

J Crew said...

In spite of A-Rod, I would love to see him in a Giant uniform. Unfortunately, he wants to win. It's too bad that as a fan, you can't opt out.

Ando said...

Paul - First off, I never said I wasn't bitter. ;)

Secondly, I said the Red Sox are moving into Evil Empire territory. They aren't quite there yet. Here's a quick history lesson. In 1996 (the lone time I rooted for them) that Yanks won their first WS in fifteen years. Their lineup featured a mix of veterans and up-and-comers, much like the recent Red Sox teams. They then proceeded to dominate for the next half-decade, and remain a very good team for the half-decade after that. Now, eveybody hates them. Before that stretch, they hadn't been good enough for anybody to be more than ambivalent toward them for a long time, much like the pre-2004 Red Sox. Until recently, the Sox were the little engine that could (despite having the second highest payroll) and a feel good story. I'm telling you, things are changing. This Red Sox team has a chance to be very good for a very long time, much like the late 90's/early 00's Yankees. Is that what you want Paul?

Of course I would feel differently about a dynastic Angels team because I'm an Angels fan. But we also aren't spoon-fed non-stop Angels hype the way we are like with the Sox and Yanks. Part of that is because of the successes of those teams, but a lot of it is because ESPN is based on the East Coast and the weather sucks there and people don't have anything better to do with their time than hook up to the hype machine.

But like I said, I never claimed I wasn't bitter. :\

Josh - that opt out line was awesome.