Saturday, October 6, 2007

The Cubs Demise... and Nasty Flies

If you saw the Indians vs. Yankees game last night you would have noticed that the star of the game wasn't any player. It was the insects. Millions of little tiny moth-like flies invaded the Jake last night and make quite a mess of the whole baseball atmosphere. But it might have been the most unique natural phenomenon during a baseball game I have ever seen. I kept wondering how many of those little insects were splattered all over the ball as it was hurled from the mound to home.

In other news today is the third game of the Cubs vs. Diamondbacks series in Chicago. It's been four years since Wrigley field had any playoff baseball and no doubt a crucial game for the Cubs in this series. I'm not optimistic. It's not because of any curse, or Bartman or any such history of failure (and I can tell you about Cubs and failure). The reason I am not optimistic is because Arizona is a good team, really good. I am surprised by the NL West this year. I guess I shouldn't be but with the miserable Giants just a few minutes away I suppose reality was skewed and I thought that the West was mediocre. Actually it was Central that was mediocre with the Cubs only 3 games above .500. Arizona was the only team in the NL to win 90 games this season. I don't like the fact that Cubs might go down today but lets be real. Arizona over the long-haul of the season has been the better club, and they are hitting the ball well at just the right time.

Chicago on the other hand has been off and on all season. They almost gave the Central back to Milwaukee at the end, and have looked more like a wild-card team that barely got in than a Division Champion. The bats in spots 2-5 have been very quiet in this series and that's always a problem for a team in October (ask the Yankees and A-Rod). Arizona is the better team.

Let Bartman be served papers, make a Billy Goat day at Wrigley, do whatever you can to cheer for the Cubs, but know that we are going to have to wait until next year.

1 comment:

Ando said...

I didn't think about all the bugs killed in the flight path of the ball. Tragic.

Looks like we're in the same boat buddy.