Friday, October 5, 2007

Prognostications

I, Ando, peering deeply, reverently, into my crystal ball, have witnessed the following conclusions to tonights Major League Baseball playoff games:

#1. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim - 5. Boston Red Sox - 3.

Breakdown- Having never faced Dice-K before, the Angels will struggle at first to get things going and will trail 2-0 early. Finally, in the fourth, Chone Figgins will get on, steal second, and will be subsequently driven in, sparking a scrappy inning where the Angels grind out four runs on a combination of infield hits, a hit-and-run, and at least one Boston error. The Sox will pull within one in the sixth with a home run from J.D. Drew. But the Angels will answer in the top of the seventh with a home run from Juan Rivera. Escobar, having pitched brilliantly for seven innings will yield to the bullpen where Scot Shields, Justin Speier, and Frankie Rodriguez will make things interesting, but ultimately hold down the fort giving the Halos a series tying victory before heading back to the Left Coast.

#2. New York Yankees - 7. Cleveland Indians - 4.

Breakdown- Indians phenom Fausto Carmona will have his hands full with a relentless Yankees lineup. He'll give up at least one run in the first inning, and be gone by the fourth, trailing by four runs. Meanwhile, Yankees pitcher Andy Petite will look like the Petite of old for six solid innings, surrendering only two runs, one unearned. Trailing in the seventh, the Indians will show signs of life, scoring two runs off Yankee middle relief until Joba Chamberlain is brought in to put out the fire. The big offensive contributors for the Yanks will be Jorge Posada and Derek Jeter, each with a pair of RBI and at least one homer between them. Alex Rodriguez will continue to struggle in the postseason.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

agreed. Angels win, but Dice-k does horrid.

agreed on Yanks, but I think Fausto does a bit better (minus a 2-run jack from Arodicus).

Baseball_N_Beer said...

I'm a little concerned with Escobar's shoulder. He experienced some tenderness towards the end of the season. Also, Escobar's ERA is higher both on the road and in night games. I think the Halos are going to play Vlad in RF because of their lack of offense in Game 1, so we'll see if his tricep injury has an effect on his throws home or to 2nd or 3rd. Also, Dice-K hasn't faced the Angels this year, so I would say the advantage goes to the pitcher in a first start situation. I think Dice-K will rise to the occasion and will perform well enough for a Red Sox win.

As for the Indians/Yankees, it's a tough decision. Pettitte does have the playoff experience and Carmona is the young gun who might get a little too pumped up in his first playoff start. I think Pettitte will pitch better because he's been to the playoffs so many times, but as for who wins, it'll come down to the bullpens. I'll give the game to the Yankees and they'll even up the series at 1-1.

Ando said...

Escobar's shoulder doesn't worry me too much and his last reg. season start was very good. Plus he has pretty good numbers against the Sox (.242 BA), especially Ortiz and Manny (one only hits .219 off him and the other about .180). If you take out Lugo's .571 avg. he's even better. I agree that Vlad will be in right with either Rivera or Morales at DH. As for Dice-K, I do worry that they havne't seen him at all, but he's so erratic I think they'll be ok.

Currently 1-0 Yanks in the 3rd. So far my prediction hasn't been accurate. Carmona seems to be doing pretty well.

Interesting thing I learned today about Dice-K. In Japan starters usually pitch only every 7 days, not every 5 like here. That could be why he's run out of gas of late.

Anonymous said...

Can you keep track of this as a fantasy predictors league? Awarding points according to the accuracy of the predictions? I believe I should be ahead at the moment because of my insanely accurate prediction of the Beckett masterpiece... but I'm only saying that as a non-biased observer...

Ando said...

I have no recollection of your prediction of a Beckett masterpiece. So, no.

Well, I guess I was a little off on my Carmona prediction. Dude is nails. And it appears the plague of pestilence has befallen Cleveland. Doug Menakodiadwwizzit just called time twice in the same AB because of the bugs. What a postseason!

Ando said...

And the trainers just sprayed Joba Chamberlain down with bug spray.

Anonymous said...

the bug spray totally caused that run!

I have the email where I predicted Beckett... Bam!

If the Yanks can't hit West-broke next game they deserve to lose the series...

Ando said...

Those bugs TOTALLY messed with his head. He started throwing like crap when the plague intensifeid.

I'll need to see a certified copy of that eMail.

Anonymous said...

one certified copy coming up...

I was right on Dice-poopie!

Ando said...

But we were both wrong on the winner. I'm moving to Canada, where lacross is king.